Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Stay The Same

James Joyce letter wrote in last century :

------------------------------------------------------
15 August, 1904

My dear Nora,

It has just struck me. I came in at half past eleven. Since then I have been sitting in an easy chair like a fool. I could do nothing. I hear nothing but your voice. I am like a fool hearing you call me “Dear.” I offended two men today by leaving them coolly. I wanted to hear your voice, not theirs.

When I am with you I leave aside my contemptuous, suspicious nature. I wish I left your head on my shoulder. I think I will to bed.

I have been a half-hour writing this thing. Will you write something to me? I hope you will. How am I to sign myself? I won’t sign anything at all, because I don’t know what to sign myself.
------------------------------------------------------


More than a hundred years latter, via e-mail, it might read like this :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nora,
quick thought: got in @ 11.30 – since then just hanging round like an idiot *lol*, doin nothing. just hear your voice goin :-( .
annoyed 2 clients, skipped appointments. wanted 2 b with u!!!!!!!!!!!
ur good 4 me, u make me feel better, less depressive, less monster-like ;-), want your head on my shoulder. NVM, will go 2 bed soon, been writing this for 10 mins now. write back soon!!!!!! hope you will!!!!!!!!!! never know how to finish these things. CU soon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick hit: technology advances, tools changes, languages evolve...
people stay the same! :-)

Taken from MIND SET! by John Naisbitt

No comments: